In the first part to this blog post series, I discussed how there was a variety of benefits in utilizing S1000D data across your business. Each project is unique but you should expect to see benefits in:
- Data Planning and Management,
- Authoring and
The first blog covered items one and two, therefore this second part of the blog series will focus on item three.
3. Delivery Cost Benefits of Working with S1000D
One of the key aspects of the ASD S1000D Specification is incorporating planning and management, production, exchange and distribution, and use of data in electronic form for different types of output, from print oriented / PDF to an Interactive Electronic Technical Publication (IETP). The diagram below highlights the key aspects of electronic data use in S1000D.
Areas covered by S1000D
Note in the diagram above, various area’s within the business can feed into or accept data from the S1000D data delivery and management process, hence S1000D data should be part of an overall business strategy, not just project specific, to ensure maximum data-reuse for the business.
Implementing S1000D across the business and all projects, allows for the following types of Delivery Cost Benefits to be seen:
- Increase in data integrity and the generation of better quality documents through data integration with other systems and business units
- Reduced data creation costs due to data re-use
- Output errors need only to be fixed once, and flow on
- Data can simply be unpublished for temporary or permanent removal from a delivery
- Lower overall costs, due to CSDB warehousing capability
- Overall streamlined publishing / delivery process
- Lower document distribution costs with multiple methods of delivery available from the one source content
- Easy filtering of information e.g. search and retrieval by applicable model, or through the use of metadata and content while searching
- Wider access and more efficient retrieval of the documentation by the end user using the asset/equipment in the field including multiple methods of content delivery
- Non-proprietary = delivery of data to any internal or external project